Skip to main content

Is this how we “Cut our expenditures” in dentistry!

So day before yesterday I had this middle aged lady in my clinic with discomfort and pain in the upper right quadrant. I could see no frank pathology in that region, except a metal ceramic crown with the second molar which she had got placed some eight months back. After removing some local deposits from that region I could locate the pain to the area between the first and the second molar. There was some food lodgment there and I suspected a proximal decay with the first molar because there was some discoloration and roughness. I went ahead with a radiograph but the tooth appeared intact with no radiolucency, I was still in two thoughts; both the first and the second molar were slightly tender, but neither could I see any periapical pathology nor I could see a decay. I removed the food that was sitting in between the two teeth but could not find a lot to curette. I scheduled the patient for my endodontist, to finalize, take a call and start any RC/Re-RC. Since even he could not pin point any lesion and we could locate a frank tenderness with the second molar we planned to remove the crown. Underneath the crown, we found a temporary restoration which was dissolved and replaced by food in the entire proximal aspect where the wall was missing and should have ideally been built up before the crown was planned. Fortunately, there was no decay with the first molar, just some discoloration, and slight enamel wear. The patient was instantly relieved and I was sad because she had told me previously that she had got her treatment done from a much-known practitioner in town, and she had paid a handsome amount for the treatment.

What do we achieve by placing the crowns over the temporary restoration and sometimes even cotton, and how much money or time do we save like this? Why don’t we check the margins and contacts right? Why do we hesitate to get the work repeated from the lab if required? I guess by all this more than anything we instill the idea in the patients head that crowns are always associated with problems and do not come for more than a year or two! Lately, I have been reading a lot about the amount that should be charged by the dentist because of the material charges, machine charges, education charges that we invest and so on and so forth! It’s good to calculate, and it’s good to compare that we charge much less when compared to the west I won’t say anything against that. But people lets justify what we charge! Charge if you can deliver the right work! Cutting your expenditure by treatments like this? Where you relieve the patients of pain and let them linger with some problems or the other till endless times just to save a few pennies or a few minutes of yours is something unacceptable! The only way to increase our value is by delivering the right work I guess!

 (p.s: how to deliver more in lesser charges! Well I have something to say on that as well; do wait for my next blog post for it) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Say NO when you do not KNOW!

So here is a picture which I took while I was between my sub-gingival scaling procedure today!  My patient was a 33-year-old man who complained that, since he was told to get his teeth cleaned once every six months, he has developed bleeding and receding gums! He said that the whole idea is wrong and he has to face a lot because of the same now! Apparently, this man has been getting his scaling done once every six months, and wow this is the state of his gums! I really don’t know what makes the dentists ignore such a basic procedure! Or maybe because we have been focusing more on the “big cases” and “Dental Implants” we forget that it is our duty to give our patients the basics right! I can’t describe the amount of negativity he had for dentists and the notion of regular oral checkups! As per him, regular visits are just a money minting procedure, because he ended up in disease despite doing the same since past 5 years! I feel if the treatment is done like this then yes regular c...

With the Magical advent of Dental Implants, have we forgotten to conserve and save?

“The furcation is involved; this tooth won’t serve you for too long!” “The decay has almost reached the root, better to remove it and replace it!” “It’s mobile! Saving it requires more appointments, and then we are not sure how your tissues response will be; I suggest replacing it with a DENTAL IMPLANT!” Sounds like your own self? Don’t worry every second dental surgeon sounds like this today! Dental Implants are undoubtedly the biggest boon in dentistry both for the dentist and the patient. No cutting of the adjacent teeth, no ill-fitting dentures, and a magical tooth back in place along with an artificial root. But does that mean using this magic, in teeth, which can rather heal with your time and efforts? With the multiple courses which train and teach Dental Implantology we have many “trained Dental Implantologists” in the fraternity today, thus, where it was once rare for a dentist to dare an Implant in their own clinic, today everyone is in a position to take it up. T...

Have a look at these two slides...I don't need to write paragraphs...Its self explanatory!